Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Huskies Slide Past Storm

(Photo by Baker Media Productions)
(Photo by Baker Media Productions)

HOUGHTON, Mich.— The Lake Erie College men's basketball team comeback attempt came up short in the final seconds of play as they fell on the road in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) action to Michigan Tech University 82-78 Thursday (Jan. 8).

The Huskies and the Storm traded the lead back-and-forth until Michigan Tech went on a 9-0 run to take a 21-14 lead.  The Storm fought back, tying the score at 23 after a three-pointer by Collin Barth (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor).  Barth then hit his second-three pointer to put the Storm ahead by three. After the Huskies cut the lead to one, Roy Alexander (Columbus, Ohio/Walnut Grove) scored on the Storm's next two possessions to maintain their lead.  Late in the half, the Huskies tied the game at 33 but Alexander scored his seventh point of the half to give the Storm a 35-33 advantage at the half.

Alexander's seven points led the Storm in the opening half.  Barth and Nick Wells (Akron, Ohio/St. Vincent-St. Mary) had six points apiece.  Steve Walczak (Columbus, Ohio/Olentangy) had four points while Nick Deitsch (Lewis Center, Ohio/Orange), Andy Bosley (Columbus, Ohio/Orange) and Jamil Dudley (Massillon, Ohio/Massillon) all hit three-pointers.  The Storm shot 46.4% in the first half, including 50% (eight-of-16) of their three-pointers.

Similar to the first half, the score went back-and-forth to open the second half, until the Huskies gained a 10 point advantage midway through, 62-52.  The Storm went on na 11-3 run to cut the lead to 65-63 with six minutes to play.  The Huskies increased their lead to seven going into the final minute of the game. Sean Howard (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) converted a traditional three-point play with 30 seconds left to cut the lead to four.  After the Storm fouled, the Huskies hit both free-throws to bring the lead back to six.  Bosley then hit a three to cut the lead to three but the Huskies once again converted both free-throws.  Howard followed up by hitting a clutch lay-up but the Huskies converted two more free-throws. Howard hit another shot with seven seconds left.  The Huskies hit one-of-two free-throws but the Storm were unable overcome the four point deficit in the final seven seconds. 

Wells led the Storm with 15 points, hitting all four of his three-point attempts in addition to a team-high eight rebounds.  Howard finished the game with 12 points while Barth had 11 and Dudley had 10.  Alexander had nine points in addition to a team-high five assists.  Bosley finished with eight points and five rebounds.  Trey Howard (Lima, Ohio/Lima Shawnee) and Walczak finished with four points apiece. 

The Storm shot 48.2% (27-of-56), including 14-of-31 (45.2%) of their three-point attempts.  24 of the Storm's points came from the bench.

The Storm is back in action Saturday (Jan. 10) at Northern Michigan University.