Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Timberwolves Defeat Storm on the Road

Photo by BB Sports Photography
Photo by BB Sports Photography

MIDLAND, Mich.— The Lake Erie College basketball team fell to Northwood University 78-77 Sunday (Jan. 3) on the road in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play. 

The Storm gained an early 8-7 lead five minutes in off three pointers by Collin Barth (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor) and Michael Morris (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine).  The Timberwolves tied the game at 14 over the next couple minutes, leading to the 10 minute mark of the half.  Tied at 16, the Storm went on a 10-0 run to take control of the game.  After the final media timeout of the half, Nick Wells (Akron, Ohio/St. Vincent-St. Mary's) extended the lead to 13 with a three.  In the closing minutes of the half, the Timberwolves brought the lead down to four but the Storm owned a 38-32 lead at the break.

Barth led the Storm with 11 points in the opening half, hitting three-of-four three pointers.  Andy Bosley (Columbus, Ohio/Orange) added eight while Brogan Scott (Wadsworth, Ohio/Highland) had six.  The Storm shot 45.2% (14-of-31) for the half, including 46.7% (seven-of-15) on three pointers. Of the 38 points in the half, 19 came off turnovers. 

The Storm got off to a hot start in the second half, bringing their lead back up to 13 with 12 minutes to play.  The Timberwolves slowly chipped away at the lead, bringing it down to three four minutes later, eventually taking the lead, 66-64, with just over six minutes to go.  The Northwood lead increased to seven but a three by Roy Alexander (Columbus, Ohio/Walnut Grove) and a layup and one by Trey Howard (Lima, Ohio/Lima Shawnee) brought the game within one point with 90 seconds left.

The Timberwolves hit a jump shot to take the lead to three but Howard answered with a quick lay-up seconds later. The back-and-forth continued as the Timberwolves converted a pair of free-throws, matched once again by a Howard layup.  With ten seconds left the Storm forced a turnover trailing 78-77 but was unable to score in the final seconds.

Barth ended the game with a career-high 17 points and six assists, hitting five-of-eight three pointers.  Howard added 14 points and three assists.  Morris scored 13 points to go with his five rebounds.  Bosley added 10 points and four rebounds while Wells had seven points and four rebounds.  Scott had a career-best five rebounds. 

Lake Erie shot 45% from the floor for the game (27-of-60), including 44.8% (13-of-29) on three pointers. 

The Storm is back in action Jan. 7 against Michigan Tech University.