Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Bosley's 24 Lifts Storm Over Pioneers

Photo by BB Sports Photography
Photo by BB Sports Photography

PAINESVILLE, Ohio— The Lake Erie College men's basketball team won a close battle with Malone University Thursday (Jan. 14) to open up Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) South Division play, downing the Pioneers 70-69 in Painesville.

The game featured seven ties and six lead changes. 

The Pioneers got off to a fast start, taking a 12-5 lead at the first media timeout.  The Storm chipped away at the lead following the timeout with baskets by Michael Morris (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine), Andy Bosley (Columbus, Ohio/Orange) and Roy Alexander (Columbus, Ohio/Walnut  Grove) over the next five minutes.  The Pioneers took a 20-11 lead with 10 minutes to go in the half but the Storm shooters heated up.  Trailing by nine, the Storm went on a 6-0 run, forcing a Pioneer timeout.  Following the timeout, Trey Howard (Lima, Ohio/Lima Shawnee) scored six points as the Storm cut the lead to two, 26-24.  The Storm kept the game close, as the Pioneers owned a 30-26 halftime lead.

Trey Howard led the Storm with 11 points in the opening half.  Bosley netted eight and had a pair of steals.  Alexander grabbed five rebounds for the Storm.  The Storm defense forced 11 turnovers in the opening half while only committing two.

The Storm kept the game close, pulling within two, 41-39, at the first media timeout.  Following the timeout, Sean Howard (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) hit a three to give the Storm the lead for the first time since the 18 minute mark of the opening half. 

After taking the lead, Morris went on an 8-2 run to give the Storm a seven point advantage, 50-43.  The Pioneers slowly closed the gap, tying the game at 54 with less than 10 minutes to play.  The Storm and the Pioneers went back and forth, exchanging three pointers, with Morris and Collin Barth (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor) draining them for the Storm.  The Pioneers briefly regained the lead, 63-62, but a Trey Howard three gave the Storm a 65-63 lead with three minutes to play.

The Pioneers tied the game once against after a timeout but Bosley was quick to respond for the Storm, giving them a 67-65 lead.  Malone went on to score at the other end, tying the game for the seventh time.  Trey Howard was fouled and converted one of his free throws to give the Storm a one point edge.

With 1:38 to play, Malone took the lead, 69-67.  On the ensuing Storm possession, Morris found Bosley for a layup as the shot clock expired to give the Storm a 70-69 lead. 

Malone took the final shot of the game but the Storm defense made it a tough one as it bounced off the rim, giving the Storm the conference win.

Bosley finished the game with 24 points and four rebounds.  Trey Howard scored 19 while Morris scored 15 and had a trio of rebounds and assists.  Alexander led the Storm with seven rebounds.

Alexander, Bosley, Trey Howard and Barth had three steals apiece as they forced 16 turnovers while committing six.  Those turnovers led to 15 points.  The Storm did well on the offensive boards, grabbing 10 as they scored 12 second chance points. 

The Storm is back in action Saturday (Jan. 16) at Walsh University in GLIAC South Division play.