Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Storm's Comeback Falls Short Against Tiffin

Photo by BB Sports Photography
Photo by BB Sports Photography

PAINESVILLE, Ohio— The Lake Erie College men's basketball team's comeback fell short against Tiffin University Thursday night (Jan. 28) as they fell to the Dragons 64-63 in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) South Division play.

The opening half featured 10 lead changes and ties. After trading scoring possessions early on, the Storm went on a 7-0 run, fueled by five points from Michael Morris (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine), to take an 11-7 lead.  After the first media timeout, the Dragons fought back, taking a 16-14 lead five minutes later.  Collin Barth (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor) hit a three to give the Storm the lead back, 17-16.  The Dragons answered with a 5-1 run to gain a 21-18 advantage.

Andy Bosley (Columbus, Ohio/Orange) got the momentum back in the favor of the Storm with a thunderous putback dunk.  That sparked a 6-2 run, with Bosley scoring all six, to tie the game at 24.  Morris hit his second three to give the Storm the lead late in the half as they owned a 29-26 lead at the break.

Morris led the Storm with eight points while Bosley, Trey Howard (Lima, Ohio/Lima Shawnee) and Barth had six apiece. 

The Dragons started the second half on a 10-3 run, taking a 36-32 lead at the first media timeout.  Following the timeout, the Dragons continued to push their advantage, increasing their lead to 15.

The Storm came out strong following the second media timeout, going on a 9-2 run with threes by Morris and Roy Alexander (Columbus, Ohio/Walnut Ridge) to force a Dragons' timeout. 

With the less than five minutes to play, the Dragons led 58-48.  The Storm went on a 7-0 run cutting the lead down to three, 58-55. 

The Dragons pushed the lead to five but a timely Trey Howard three cut the lead to two, 60-58.  After a pair of free-throws by the Dragons, Trey Howard answered with a pair of his own. 

The back-and-forth at the free-throw lines continued as Trey Howard chipped away at the Dragons' lead.  Trailing 62-61 with 19 seconds to go, Trey Howard sunk a pair of free-throws to put the Storm back in front for the first time since early in the second half.  However, the Dragons hit a tough shot in the paint in the waning seconds of the game for the win.

Trey Howard finished with 22 points, going nine-of-11 from the charity stripe, with four assists.  Morris finished with 14 points, hitting four-of-seven threes.  Bosley had eight points to go with a team-high eight rebounds.  Alexander had nine points, hitting a trio of three-pointers.

Lake Erie forced 18 turnovers while turning it over just six times.  The turnovers led to 21 points for the Storm. 

The Storm is back in action Saturday (Jan. 30) against Ohio Dominican University.