Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Lake Erie

Storm Fall in Hard Fought Battle with Chargers

Storm Fall in Hard Fought Battle with Chargers

HILLSDALE, Mich. – The Lake Erie College men's basketball team was in action today as they were defeated by Hillsdale, 78-67

The Chargers opened the scoring with a pair of foul shots to take a 2-0 lead.  The Storm responded on their next possession when Brogan Scott (Wadsworth, Ohio / Highland) hit a three pointer to give the Storm a 3-2 lead.  The teams entered the under 16 minute media timeout deadlocked at seven points apiece.  Out of the timeout, Lake Erie grabbed the lead when Michael Morris (New Palestine, Ind. / New Palestine) hit a three off an assist from Ryan Middendorf (West Chester, Ohio / Lakota East).  Hillsdale responded with a 6-0 run and took a 13-10 advantage.  The run was ended by a David Dunnigan (Cleveland, Ohio / Padua) layup off an assist from Erron James (Westerville, Ohio / Westerville Central), and the Storm entered the under 12 minute media timeout behind, 13-12.  The Chargers went on a 7-0 run after the timeout, and stretched their lead to 20-12.  Hillsdale maintained a 27-18 edge at the under eight minute media timeout.  The teams traded baskets for the next four minutes and the Storm trailed 32-25 at the final media timeout of the first half.  Lake Erie ended the first half with a quick 5-0 run, and cut the Chargers lead to 37-34.

Hillsdale came out of the locker room ready to play, as they opened the second half on 7-1 run.  The Chargers led 45-35 at the first media timeout of the second half.  Out of the break, the Storm went on a 6-0 run that cut the Hillsdale lead to 45-41.  The run was started by a Gabe Kynard (Toledo, Ohio / St. John's) three pointer, and capped by a Dunnigan layup.  The run forced a timeout by the Chargers with just over 13 minutes remaining in the game.  The Storm continued to cut into the lead when Harrison Riggs (Toledo, Ohio / St. John's) hit a three pointer to cut the Hillsdale lead to 51-48.  The Chargers responded with a 7-2 run and took a 58-50 lead with just over eight minutes remaining in the game.  The teams traded baskets for six minutes, and the Chargers led 69-61 with just over two minutes remaining in the game.  Lake Erie continued to battle, but were unable to put together a late run.  The Storm fell, 78-67   

The Storm was led by Kynard as he had a team high 13 points, and recorded a pair of steals.  Morris added 12 points off the bench, as he shot 75 percent from behind the arc.  Dunnigan led the Storm in rebounds with nine, and added nine points. 

Lake Erie will return to action Thursday (Feb. 15) when they travel to take on Ohio Dominican, with the game set to tip at 5:30 p.m.