Lake Erie College Men's Soccer Report - Sept. 24
This weekend's game:
Saturday, Sept. 26 vs. Ohio Valley University (3:30 p.m.)
Storm Report (1-5-1)
The men's soccer team has rebounded from an 0-5 start to its season by picking up a win and a tie in its last two matches. The Storm picked up its first win on Sept. 15 with a 3-1 triumph over Pitt-Johnstown. Everton Blake (Clardenon, Jamaica/Clardenon/Lakeland CC) scored the first goal of the match on a give-and-go sequence from freshman Rob Searles (Chardon, Ohio/Notre Dame Cathedral Latin). After the Mountain Cats' only goal tied the score going into halftime, Lake Erie forward Scott Stucky (Avon Lake, Ohio/Avon) drew a foul in the penalty area to force a penalty kick, which he converted with 13 minutes to play. Justin Mihaley's goal five minutes later polished off the Storm's first win of the season.
The Storm battled to a 1-1 draw on Saturday (Sept. 19) when it hosted West Virginia Wesleyan. The Storm played with a man advantage for most of the match as Cardinal keeper Andrew Baldasare prevented a breakaway goal by Searles by knocking the ball away with his hands while outside the penalty area. Baldasare was sent off for the action. The Storm capitalized a couple minutes before halftime as Blake redirected Jacob Drake's (Streetsboro, Ohio/Crestwood) into the net to pick up the 1-0 lead. The Cardinals, though, tied the game in the 54th minute. The game went to double overtime, when the Storm picked up a two-man advantage in the 102nd minute on another red card. Lake Erie could not cash in on the advantage, however, ending the match in a 1-1 draw.
The Ohio Valley University Fighting Scots enter Saturday's game with a 2-7 record. The Scots won their season-opener then went on a seven-game losing skid before winning their last match, 6-2, over Salem International University.
· The Storm's two-match unbeaten streak is its first since Oct. 4-8 last season when it won two straight over Salem International and Alderson-Broaddus. On Saturday, the Storm will be looking for its longest unbeaten streak since it won four straight in Sept. 2007.
- Blake leads the team with three goals, while Searles' three assists are tops for the Storm.
- Senior keeper Jared Daly (Hubbard, Ohio/Ursuline) is carrying a 1.89 goals against average.
- Eleven of the 17 goals allowed by Lake Erie have come in the second half.
- Saturday's home match against Ohio Valley University will signal the end of a six-match string in which the Storm will host West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference schools.
- Saturday's tie with West Virginia Wesleyan marked the first
draw for the Storm since Oct. 13, 2007, when it tied